It’s your responsibility to ensure your mind & body are in optimal driving shape before getting behind the wheel.
- Plan ahead and get 7-8 hours of sleep before your drive.
- The Buddy system: It’s safest to drive with a partner on long trips. Pull over every two hours and switch drivers, while the other takes a nap if possible.
- Don’t rush. Better to arrive at your destination safe than on time.
- Do not drink alcohol. Even very small amounts of alcohol will enhance drowsiness.
- Don’t drive between midnight and 6 a.m. Because of your body’s biological rhythm, this is a time when sleepiness is most intense.
- Drink caffeine: caffeine improves alertness, although be aware that the effects of caffeine will wear off after several hours.
- If you have a sleep disorder or have symptoms of a sleep disorder such as snoring or feeling sleepy during the day, talk to your physician about treatment options.
- Remember: Pull over and power nap!
Why power naps are so good for you (life-saving even).
Power naps can alleviate our so-called sleep deficits, but they can also boost our brains, including improvements to creative problem solving, verbal memory, perceptual learning, object learning, and statistical learning. They help us with math, logical reasoning, our reaction times, and symbol recognition. Naps improve our mood and feelings of sleepiness and fatigue. Not only that, napping is good for our heart, blood pressure, stress levels, and surprisingly, even weight management.
I Can Help You With Safer Strategies
- Drowsy Driver Reviver Kit has been implemented on a number of mines in the Bowen Basin.
- Moranbah North, Saraji Mine, Komatsu and Daunia Mine have distributed thousands of kits to their workers with very positive feedback.
- I also offer toolbox talks on distribution of the kit and can also supply educational talks on
- Surviving Shift work
- Circadian Rhythm
- Making the most of Sleeping hours and
- Sleep Hygiene as well as general advice.
- Transport companies are now recognizing the value of the Drowsy Driver Reviver Kit as an innovative and life –saving tool. All road users benefit from having a kit in the glove box.
- My kit has now travelled to every state in Australia as well as New Zealand and New Caledonia.
- Educating as many people as possible on how to have and effective, reviving power nap.
- It has travelled further than me!